Camden Fort, Crosshaven
Visiting Camden Fort in stunning seaside town, Crosshaven;
History: 1550 Original Fortifications on the site originally date from around 1550 and were further added to in 1600.
In 1601 Battle of Kinsale: Following the Battle of Kinsale, which finally saw England’s conquest of Ireland, the fort fell into disuse. The fort was fortified again at the end of the 17th century by the Jacobites in an effort to block the Williamites’ naval forces.
In 1799 Napoleonic War: At the start of the Napoleonic War (1799 – 1815), the naval establishment at Kinsale was transferred to Haulbowline Island in Cork Harbour. Fort Camden was remodelled and numerous other defences were installed around the Cork coastline to provide protection to Haulbowline Island Naval Base and the surrounding harbour area.
By 1837 Fort Camden contained only a token force of a master gunner and eight men. The fort was briefly used as a prison. Prisoners were used for their labour in the construction of its fortification.
When the Irish Free State was established in 1922, a clause in the Anglo-Irish Treaty left the harbour defences at Cork, Berehaven and Lough Swilly in the control of the British government. These ports became known as the Treaty Ports.
Handover of the Fort On the 11th of July 1938 the harbour defences at Cork were handed over to the Irish authorities. Eamon De Valera and Irish Military chiefs were present to take part in the historic handover ceremony.
On the 22nd of July 2010, the Community of Crosshaven joined forces with Cork County Council to begin a clean-up and restoration project at the fort. A ‘Rescue Camden’ committee was formed and a team of scheme workers, apprentices, instructors and volunteers began clearing, restoring and maintaining the site with great support from FAS and Secad.The fort began welcoming public visitors.
In 2013 Camden Fort Meagher commemorated the 75th anniversary of the handover of the fort from British Forces to the Irish Defence Forces. The fort was officially renamed Camden Fort
Pic Credit: Pure Cork
Information credit: Camden Fort Meagher